- Beer Bread
- Breads & Rolls
- Jane Waites
- 3 cups flour (sifted)
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
`1/4 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) can beer (bottle of Tirana beer!)
`1/2 cup melted butter (`1/4 cup will do just fine)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix dry ingredients and beer. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Pour melted butter over mixture. Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Garlic & Herb**: Add 1 t dried rosemary, 1 t dried oregano, 1 t dried thyme, and 2 minced garlic cloves (or 1 t garlic flakes) to the basic mix. For fresh herbs, use 1 T chopped of each.
- Dill & Chive**: Add 2 T chopped fresh dill (or 2 t dried dill) and `1/4 cup chopped fresh chives to the basic mix.
- Rosemary & Feta**: Add 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary and `3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces) to the basic mix.
- Italian**: Add 1 t each dried basil and oregano (or 1 T each chopped fresh basil and oregano), 2 minced cloves of garlic, and `1/2 cup finely grated parmesan or romano cheese to the basic mix.
Other Additions: Any dried or fresh herbs; `1/2 cup freshly grated asiago (or other hard cheese); `1/2 cup finely chopped onion, `1/2 cup chopped scallions; `1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, `1/2 cup whole wheat flour or `1/2 cup oats in place of `1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour. Or practically anything else you can think of--just use your imagination.